Dana White tweeted today that Matt Brown will fight Robbie Lawler in a title eliminator bout headlining the UFC’s return to big FOX on July 26 from San Jose, CA.
The announcement comes on the heels of an impressive performance by Lawler at UFC 173 where he earned a 3rd round TKO over Jake Ellenberger.
Silva of course had what many called the fight of the year thus far against Erick Silva earlier this month, his 7th straight win in the stacked welterweight division. The lack of a top 10 win however, had many saying he needed to face a top guy before getting his shot at gold. Lawler will most definitely be the test people clamored for.
Here’s the card thus far:
- Matt Brown vs. Robbie Lawler
- Anthony Johnson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
- Michael Johnson vs. Josh Thomson
- Daron Cruickshank vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Dennis Bermudez vs. Clay Guida
- Noad Lahat vs. Steven Siler
- Kyle Kingsbury vs. opponent TBA
The winner will likely face the champ, Johny Hendricks, around September or October barring any unforeseen injuries.