The UFC invaded Wembley Arena Saturday and Renan Barao showed why he is the current interim bantamweight champion. He solidified his position and is looking for Dominick Cruz next. McDonald fought a great fight early, making the first two rounds very close. The interim champ proved why he is considered a champion as he took control in the third round. He found himself in arm triangle position and secured the submission with constant pressure.
The win moves Barao’s win streak to 30 wins and also notched a submission of the night bonus of $50,000. He respectfully called for the champ Cruz saying through his interpreter, “Dominick Cruz, I’m waiting for you, please come (back) quick.”
McDonald, at the ripe age of 22, has a long prosperous career ahead and one could just envision that this won’t be the last time these two fighters lock horns in the octagon before it’s all said and done.
Cub Swanson solidified himself as a contender in teh featherweight division, outlasting a very game Dustin Poirier to earn a unanimous decision. Swanson rocked Poirier in round one, taking that round. Poirier came back in the second and took it with some takedowns. In the third Poirier found his range, but seemed to gas himself looking for a finish. Swanson capitalized and controlled Poirier with takedowns and strikes, including taking his back for some time. Swanson’s only losses in recent memory are to three of the best in the world, José Aldo, Chad Mendes and Ricardo Lamas. He is focused and on a mission in that now stacked division.
Here’s the full results:
- Renan Barao def. Michael McDonald via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 4, 3:57
- Cub Swanson def. Dustin Poirier via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jimi Manuwa def. Cyrille Diabate via TKO (leg injury) – Round 1, 5:00
- Gunnar Nelson def. Jorge Santiago via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- James Te Huna def. Ryan Jimmo via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Matthew Riddle def. Che Mills via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Renee Forte def. Terry Etim via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Danny Castillo def. Paul Sass via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Andy Ogle def. Josh Grispi via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Tom Watson def. Stanislav Nedkov via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:42
- Vaughan Lee def. Motonobu Tezuka via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Phil Harris def. Ulysses Gomez via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)